Sunday, April 12, 2009

Jailed, Flogged and Deported

Flogging in Pakistan


I first met Ed in the agency that sent us to Saudi Arabia. He was seated beside me in my initial flight to the Middle East.

The first year in the hospital was fine. Ed worked with ease until a letter from his girlfriend informed him that she is scheduled to leave for the USA in one month’s time.

Immediately Ed approached our “mudir” (manager) and begged for permission to fly home. Sadly, the manager pointed out that his contract was for two years and only after that time, can he go back to the Philippines. Upset, Ed stormed out and went straight to the telephone booth where he dialed for a connection for more than an hour. Frustrated, he hammered the phone and promptly walked towards the hospital. Sensing trouble, I followed him.

Inside the hospital Ed walked straight into the manager’s office. After a few minutes shouts were heard then a crashing sound followed. People ran towards the office and as we were about to reach for the doorknob it opened and Ed walked out towards our flat and into his room.

Policemen arrived and the manager talked with them, then they went to Ed’s room. As they got out I saw Ed, his hands cuffed, he looked at me and bowed his head. I tried to get near but the policemen circled him.

The next day news came out that Ed was jailed and will be flogged. His sentence: seven days in jail plus ten floggings.

After my duty, I immediately brought clothes, food and water for Ed. His eyes red and hair uncombed he walked towards me and stopped, between us was a wall of steel bars. Ed knew of his sentence and continued that he will also be deported.

At the end of the seven day prison term, Ed was brought to the marketplace, still handcuffed he was made to stand where many could see him. Then a policeman read a paper informing the people of the details on Ed’s verdict.

Then a policeman holding a stick alighted from the van. The stick was as big as my little finger and about one and a half feet long. The man twisted it to straighten a curve revealing that it was flexible. Without a word he went directly to Ed and quickly flogged him lightly on the back, so quick the ten supposed to be lashes appeared as slight pats and was over in two seconds. The humiliation is probably much more painful than the actual flogging.

Immediately after, Ed was sent to his room and was told to prepare for his flight. Ed was deported and perhaps arrived home just in time to see his girlfriend.

I never saw Ed since then.

25 comments:

  1. interesting post. scary but you are showing us a new world, the world of middle east.
    thanks.
    your way of writing is fantastic, you can think about a collection of your stories to get published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear selbon,
    thanks for liking "the elegant bird"
    am waiting for your next post,
    with warmest wishes,
    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a heart breaking experience to be humiliated like that. some things that most of our countrymen is trying to accept and swallow just to feed their families. this should serve as an eye opener for us and also to our government.
    thank you for sharing this to us Selbon.
    More power.
    bleedingmind-

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear selbon,
    thanks for the suggestion,
    i have become a member.
    with warmest wishes,
    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. re: golden butterfly

    dear selbon,
    Thanks. :)
    and thanks for suggesting the website, i love its environment and rules.
    with warmest wishes,
    waiting for your next post,
    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear selbon,
    Thanks again, you sure are a great inspiration. :)
    actually i rarely use beautiful words or classic english, that is why my poems are a little different i believe.
    i am eagerly waiting for your next post, try to publish atleast one a week :( they are fantastic.
    with best wishes,
    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Selbon-
    Very simple story, yet very powerful in that simplicity. I am an RN as well, just passed my boards last week. I am looking forward to reading more of your stories - I hope to travel to the Middle East some day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is rather tragic. But yeah... this is reality...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that after that ordeal he was at least able to see his girlfriend before she left.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the objectivity and matter-of-factness with which you tell this. The coldness of the description highlights the brutality of the event. It all seems like business as usual and the business is rather nasty. But in the end, one feels Ed ultimately got what he wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so amazing and I hope you continue to get the message out that life is often not fair and often memories never leave us and we must move on in spite of them. Thanks you for sharing...

    Blessings

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an eye opening story. Now, I"m kind of scared that my sister is going to work there as a nurse too :( I guess all we can do, is to pray and be very careful. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So in other words he cheated his way out of his contractual obligation to be with his girlfriend (not even his "wife.") My word means more than his would AND I can travel without restriction, since I don't have a criminal record.
    But...kudos to him, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  14. heart touching post, but dear you have placed a very very old picture of flogging in Pakistan. Perhaps this picture is of 1980s and now such things are very rare...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really a tragedy
    Any words do not fit here

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice story but sad and amazing same time. I really enjoyed ( also the music - nice >3)

    Thanks for sharing.That was beautifully written.

    Be blessed!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, thank you for passing by my blog. That's how I got here. This was a nice story. It appears that from your story, Ed knew that the end of this will be his deportation and so the goal of going home was met. Only at a humiliating cost.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for stopping by my post. Your friend's sad experience brings me back to those old days when my husband who worked in Saudi Arabia was angered by the endless refusal of his employer to grant his legitimate requests for vacation leave. He received harsh words from his boss telling him that living status here in the Philippines was (and still is) miserable and he couldn't afford to put his work at risk. He resigned with finality. My late husband did the only right thing- he preserved his dignity as a person and as a citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is horrible. I've heard about these things of course; who hasn't, but reading about someone who actually experienced it makes it so real somehow. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know very well how the Arab Muslim World may be insane and regressive. May the L-rd, our Hashem, forbid this one day.

    Thanks add me.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete