Sunday, March 29, 2009

Charcoaled Bird

As I arrive for work, I was surprised to find all the teams present in the ambulance station. Following the familiar greetings I was told that there will be “good food for lunch”.

After their noon prayer, a bonfire was lit and carpets were laid circling the fire, there we sat comfortably as teas were served and freshly baked “khubz” (native bread) were passed, then dusty bricks from the nearby construction was given out. Shaken and confused, I held the khubz and the brick on each hand and thought of “the good food for lunch”.

Jaber our ever-reliable help positioned a large platter beside the fire, two men each carrying a large sack followed and poured the contents into the platter revealing a horrible mountain of headless gray-feathered birds. One after the other, Jaber carefully tossed the birds into the fire causing it to release a reeking smoke, I looked at the assembly but nobody complained.

Then with a meter long stick Jaber probed the flames and poked out the charred birds settling it just outside the fire, in no time large clusters of smoking black gourmet surrounded the flame. Just as the last bird got dug out I have decided not to stand up for a serving.

Jaber closely examined the stick and held it firmly, stood straight and started to circle the fire. With the tip of the stick Jaber positioned a charred bird and one by one he swiped the gourmet towards the assembly, with steady precision it rolled and rested beside the bricks in front of us.

In an instant a bunch of weird smoking black things was served in front of me. Not knowing what to do, I tried to observe the group as they all grabbed a piece of the hot gourmet. Holding the charcoaled bird by the tip of their fingers they tapped it on the brick cracking the charred feathers. Using both hands they wiped off the birds surface revealing the meat the size of a large poultry egg.

Their hands blackened they held the meat with both hands and munched on it, occasionally pulling off some bones they grinded up to the guts. The lips blackened with charcoal and sand they took a piece of “khubz” (native bread) and wiped it off, then continued to eat the stained bread. On that sight I froze and watched with awe.

Shaking my head I nervously passed my servings and waited for negative comments, surprisingly they accepted and continued to feast. Relaxed and revived I started to eat the “khubz” (native bread) when unexpectedly our team leader rolled a charcoaled bird towards me and said “lazim khol wahid” (you should eat one). I suddenly stopped and realized that eventually I will have to experience the taste of “the good food for lunch”.

I took the still smoking gourmet and noticed the burnt claws, quickly I looked at the fire and hoped the glare will remove the impression off my mind. I dribbled the hot gourmet onto the brick, it loosened the charred feathers so I wiped off the grime with my hands and slowly it revealed the bloated belly of the shady meat now visibly of a bird.


Priming myself for the first bite I cleared my throat held my breath then holding the “good food” with both hands I drew the meat towards my mouth. The meat touching my lips I took courage to defy the instinct to draw back then with a heavy snap I ripped off part of the bird.

With a good portion of meat in my mouth the mixture of sand and crushed charred feathers offered an annoying texture that roughed my mouth and tongue. I bravely chewed the “good food” as the salty taste of the char surfaced then a terrible gall flavor ensued, to kill the taste I stopped and forced myself to swallow.

Still bothered by the terrible aftertaste I noticed my hands dripping while holding the awful “good food”, then I saw the bloated belly oozing with bubbly murky oily juice. Quickly, I dropped the dripping meat on the brick pondering on how to flee.

Without hesitation I stood up, picked the kettle of already cold tea and said “ana kalas” (I am done) then walked straight to kitchen where I promptly gargled and wash. Then with the freshly boiled tea I returned to the group, though the aftertaste still strong I sat myself comfortably and sipped tea.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an experience. and poor birds. but i'm really impressed by your courage to do something that your mind is against doing.
    oh, btw, i hope you recognize me. i'm from wordpress.com. and at last i was able to visit your site. it's great visiting here.(i'm sure i will be your constant reader here)
    oh by the way Selbon, I am new with wordpress, and i don't know how to look for people's blogs to read. and another thing, is it something like another networking site that i could invite and add friends? I would greatly appreciate your help regarding this. thanks a lot and more power!!
    You have the soul of a great writer. keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an experience. but wonderfully written.
    i agree with b, keep writing, they are wonderful.
    best wishes,
    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good articles selbon more articles to come have a wonderful day and to your family

    www.neil-jakosalem.tk

    ReplyDelete