Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Unborn



We were on our way back to our station when we noticed a commotion at the other side of the highway, immediately as the people noticed us they came waving and yelling towards us. Fhad then slowly parked the ambulance near them. There we saw a woman lying on the hot asphalt road, I rushed to her and assessed the woman's condition but unfortunately her head was badly injured by an 18 wheeler trailer truck, she was dead.

We were about to cover the woman’s body with a white paper blanket when I noticed a movement on her abdomen so I examined her and noticed that she was eight to nine months pregnant and her unborn child was still moving and alive. I called the attention of my team and told them that I will open the woman’s abdomen to at least try to save the dead woman’s baby.

I then opened my bag and started to put on my latex gloves when Tariq an EMT got near me and said wait, he went on and said “mumkin fi mushkila” (we might have problems) I suddenly stopped and told him to get permission from the central. He then radioed the central and unfortunately they didn’t permit us to save the child. I was so frustrated to know that I couldn’t do anything.

We covered the dead woman’s body and radioed the morgue to pick her up.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Selbon,

    I understand your frustration. You tried your best. You, the dead woman, and the unfortunate baby are victims of your culture or society.
    Our knowledge of what is good and what should be done in such a situation does not change the irrationality of the world in which we live. It remains as disinterested and cold as any state machinery.

    We have no other way to put it, it is the way this world is. But I commend your efforts and the great work you are doing. We can not excuse our self by saying that nothing makes sense. We must try our best to improve the situation and make it sensible.

    Good Job.
    Warm Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Yogendra Rawat, I would not be frustrated if i grew up that place. I came from a different country with different culture. I probably could say that I had experienced culture shock on the first months of my stay in that country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that is frustrating! Sometimes the rules and regulations (or laws, for that matter) just don't take into account special situations like those...and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selbon, how dreadful! Experiences like that must affect you so deeply. Such cruelty and heartlessness in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Selbon...I'm really affected when I read or hear stories like this...but the more I appreciate that I am a (God-fearing)Filipino who values life. Maligayang Pasko sa 'yo at sa 'yong pamilya. Ang galing-galing mo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mae,Maligayang pasko din sa iyo at iyong pamilya. Mabuhay ang Pilipino..

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was really frustrating...ngunit ang iyong ginawa ay isang bagay na talagang maipagmamalaki ng bawat Pilipino. May batas sila na kailangan sundin kaya kahit masakit para sa atin na wala tayong magawa kailangan natin tanggapin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sir Selbon! Doctor po ba kayo? This story is really sad, that baby could've been a great person or a leader. how could they not allow you to do the procedure?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Doc, Hindi Registered nurse ako but I work as a rescue nurse here in the middle east.

    ReplyDelete
  10. really felt sorry for unborn baby ,it was very touching story thanks for sharing god bless you

    ReplyDelete